Philadelphia Pennsylvania Trip

This is a photo of downtown Philadelphia. We were very surprised when we visited Philly, it is very different from any other large city we have seen. The downtown area is very nice but every other place we went buildings were extremely old and run down.
It was an amazing trip, we loved it. It was just sad to see how poor the majority of the city was.
Boat docked outside our first hotel

I wish I could take credit for this photo, it's so cool looking. Dave took this picture outside the hotel. I have no idea what river it is but the kids thought this boat was so cool!!
This was the at first hotel we stayed in right in Philadelphia, it was very close to Independence Hall, Liberty bell and the other tourist sites.
Independence Hall

Our first stop was Independence Hall, we had a very funny old lady as a tour guide and we learned a lot about history and the meetings that went on here. She did point out the idea of freedom and liberty for all people but that African Americans and women were not considered for those rights at the time, but we can be grateful that the beginning of freedom began here and that those more enlightened individuals years later extended those rights to ALL!!!
Inside Independence Hall

This is a photo of downtown Philadelphia. We were very surprised when we visited Philly, it is very different from any other large city we have seen. The downtown area is very nice but every other place we went buildings were extremely old and run down.
It was an amazing trip, we loved it. It was just sad to see how poor the majority of the city was.
Boat docked outside our first hotel
I wish I could take credit for this photo, it's so cool looking. Dave took this picture outside the hotel. I have no idea what river it is but the kids thought this boat was so cool!!
This was the at first hotel we stayed in right in Philadelphia, it was very close to Independence Hall, Liberty bell and the other tourist sites.
Independence Hall
Our first stop was Independence Hall, we had a very funny old lady as a tour guide and we learned a lot about history and the meetings that went on here. She did point out the idea of freedom and liberty for all people but that African Americans and women were not considered for those rights at the time, but we can be grateful that the beginning of freedom began here and that those more enlightened individuals years later extended those rights to ALL!!!
Inside Independence Hall
Kenzi and Cam posing for the camera inside independence hall. The only original piece of furniture in this room is the big chair you can see at the very back of the photo.
You can't see it very well but that is an original chair from independence hall, very cool!!
Not to bore you but here is another room in independence hall. I wish I remebered what happened in all these rooms, but I don't :-D
I do remember that the door on the right is not actually a door, in Georgian architecture you have to match each side of the room so they made a false door on that side. I know it's not very interesting history but I can't remember much about it.
Arches in Independence Hall, yes Dave was very photo happy in there. It was a very pretty building.
The tour lasted about 20 minutes so it wasn't very long, but I don't think Dave or the kids could have handled any longer. Dave likes to just walk by and say cool, then he's done!!!

You can't see it very well but that is an original chair from independence hall, very cool!!
Independence Hall.....again
I do remember that the door on the right is not actually a door, in Georgian architecture you have to match each side of the room so they made a false door on that side. I know it's not very interesting history but I can't remember much about it.
Arches in Independence Hall, yes Dave was very photo happy in there. It was a very pretty building.
The tour lasted about 20 minutes so it wasn't very long, but I don't think Dave or the kids could have handled any longer. Dave likes to just walk by and say cool, then he's done!!!
Philadelphia at Night
They had really cool buildings downtown, the architecture was awesome!
Independenc Hall
Okay to make sure I am completely correct, I have no idea what happened here!!
I wish I knew more about history but as for right I'm pretty lost. I 'think' I know what happened here but for the sake of making sure I don't give incorrect information I'll just say......
Look at the pretty building in Philadelphia!!!

As we were walking from the liberty bell building we saw this carriage. They are EVERYWHERE near the liberty bell and they are really hard salesman trying to get you to have a ride. It's about $25 per person I believe, it looks fun but today was FREEZING cold.
The liberty bell is much bigger than it looks in the picture. It is about as tall as Cam from top to bottom. We were a little dissapointed in the building it was housed in. You walk in, down a cement and brick hall way to a round cement/brick room, and then you walk out.
I expected it to be presented in a very fancy, nice way but it was just a very basic cement floor building. But even still, WOW, so cool to see the liberty bell.!!!
The kids and the liberty bell

Kenzi and Cam in front of the liberty bell. We explained a bit of background about the liberty bell before visiting and Cam has a book at home that tells all about it.
This was a great learning experience for the kids. GO homeschooling, how many other kids get this kind of field trip!!! We did this during school hours, sorry I'd chosoe visiting the liberty bell rather than sitting in a boring classroom coloring a picture of it anyday!

If you can't tell we were FREEZING! We decided to go to Christmas village, it was a bunch of Christmas booths set up in the center of town. It looked like a lot of fun, and it was adorable. But in the FREEZING weather it lasted about 20 minutes and we were out of there!!!!
My fingers were nearly frozen. It was soooooo cold. It was fun to see but too cold to shop. For those of you that know me well you know that it must have been extreme cold to keep me from shopping :-D

On our way to get some VEGETARIAN philly cheese sandwiches we saw this cool building. It had some very amazing painting on it.
Even in the poor, run down areas the architecture of the buildings is still very interesting. It is like a city from the movies.
Independenc Hall
I wish I knew more about history but as for right I'm pretty lost. I 'think' I know what happened here but for the sake of making sure I don't give incorrect information I'll just say......
Look at the pretty building in Philadelphia!!!
Carriage near the liberty bell!
As we were walking from the liberty bell building we saw this carriage. They are EVERYWHERE near the liberty bell and they are really hard salesman trying to get you to have a ride. It's about $25 per person I believe, it looks fun but today was FREEZING cold.
The Liberty Bell
Drum roll.......
Drum roll.......
I expected it to be presented in a very fancy, nice way but it was just a very basic cement floor building. But even still, WOW, so cool to see the liberty bell.!!!
The kids and the liberty bell
Kenzi and Cam in front of the liberty bell. We explained a bit of background about the liberty bell before visiting and Cam has a book at home that tells all about it.
This was a great learning experience for the kids. GO homeschooling, how many other kids get this kind of field trip!!! We did this during school hours, sorry I'd chosoe visiting the liberty bell rather than sitting in a boring classroom coloring a picture of it anyday!
Downtown Philadelphia
If you can't tell we were FREEZING! We decided to go to Christmas village, it was a bunch of Christmas booths set up in the center of town. It looked like a lot of fun, and it was adorable. But in the FREEZING weather it lasted about 20 minutes and we were out of there!!!!
My fingers were nearly frozen. It was soooooo cold. It was fun to see but too cold to shop. For those of you that know me well you know that it must have been extreme cold to keep me from shopping :-D
Building Art
On our way to get some VEGETARIAN philly cheese sandwiches we saw this cool building. It had some very amazing painting on it.
Even in the poor, run down areas the architecture of the buildings is still very interesting. It is like a city from the movies.
Valley Forge
Dave amd the kids are standing in the field at Valley Forge. There was a cannon out in the field but not much else to see. Despite the few things to actually see here, it was really cool to be in valley forge.
Dave amd the kids are standing in the field at Valley Forge. There was a cannon out in the field but not much else to see. Despite the few things to actually see here, it was really cool to be in valley forge.
Soldier Cabins at Valley Forg
e
When we got to this area I could not believe the tiny living quarters that the soldiers lived in. In the DEAD OF WINTER they lived in these poorly built log cabins with a fire place to keep warm, the ceilings were very low, probably to help keep them warm.
I cannot imagine having to live like that, you would FREEZE!!!! I have a lot of respect for the men who sacrificed so much to fight here.

Okay so since I am so behind on my posts I forgot what this actually is. It was at valley forge. It was getting dark and it was very cold so we just took the picture from the car :-D
That is probably why I forgot what it was, because by this time I was so sick of freezing my can off I decided driving by would have to suffice.
This was a beautiful hall leading to the chapel. This church was BEAUTIFUL, the architecture was exquisite!!!
Not a single detail was overlooked, we had a lot of fun visiting and walking around this beautiful church. They were having services while we were there so we couldn't go in to the chapel, but they told us it was beautifully decorated for Christmas.
Amish Buggie
What's a trip to Pennsylvania without a picture of the Amish.
We were driving home from Valley forge and as we went through some tiny little towns we saw A LOT of Amish people.
There were buggies parked outside gas stations and Amish people walking around in the stores. There were Amish businesses selling handmade wood furniture etc....
If it hadn't of been a Sunday we would have done some serious shopping!!! I would love some Amish made furniture.
Well, that was our trip to Pennsylvania. It was an amazing experience!!!
Christmas pictures are coming soon!!
When we got to this area I could not believe the tiny living quarters that the soldiers lived in. In the DEAD OF WINTER they lived in these poorly built log cabins with a fire place to keep warm, the ceilings were very low, probably to help keep them warm.
I cannot imagine having to live like that, you would FREEZE!!!! I have a lot of respect for the men who sacrificed so much to fight here.
Memorial Arch at Valley Forge
Okay so since I am so behind on my posts I forgot what this actually is. It was at valley forge. It was getting dark and it was very cold so we just took the picture from the car :-D
That is probably why I forgot what it was, because by this time I was so sick of freezing my can off I decided driving by would have to suffice.
Cool Bridge
I don't think this has any historical significance but as we were driving out of valley forge we saw this adorable bridge over a creek and I had to take a picture of it.
It was very pretty around valley forge, the trees, hills etc...

It was very pretty around valley forge, the trees, hills etc...
Washington Memorial Chapel
As we were driving out of valley forge we saw this beautiful chapel and decided to take a few pictures. As we walked around we found an old bookstore behind the chapel that carried a lot of antique books. It was fun to shop around in there, they also had a gift shop behind the chapel.
This was a fun place to visit and a beautiful chapel.

This was a fun place to visit and a beautiful chapel.
This was a beautiful hall leading to the chapel. This church was BEAUTIFUL, the architecture was exquisite!!!
Not a single detail was overlooked, we had a lot of fun visiting and walking around this beautiful church. They were having services while we were there so we couldn't go in to the chapel, but they told us it was beautifully decorated for Christmas.
Amish Buggie
We were driving home from Valley forge and as we went through some tiny little towns we saw A LOT of Amish people.
There were buggies parked outside gas stations and Amish people walking around in the stores. There were Amish businesses selling handmade wood furniture etc....
If it hadn't of been a Sunday we would have done some serious shopping!!! I would love some Amish made furniture.
Well, that was our trip to Pennsylvania. It was an amazing experience!!!
Christmas pictures are coming soon!!





1 comment:
Thanks for the legendary trip to PA! So cool to see many of the places they filmed in National Treasure. Also, it reminded me alot of my mission. In Ohio there are a great deal of wonderful Amish people (and amazing crafts andn food) and covered bridges. I looked at a calendar in a store when I was there that was made up of many historically significant covered bridges. Who knows why (maybe the wind is stronger as you are passing over a river?) they do it, but they are pretty to me.
--Emily =)
Post a Comment